As smartphones become capable gaming machines and all-around computers, ASUS wants to further raise the bar for mobile gameplay and graphics with its latest flagship gaming-centric device. Ladies and gentlemen, meet the ASUS ROG Phone.
Debuted at Computex 2018 in Taipei, Taiwan, the Android-powered ROG Phone combines special Snapdragon silicon with innovative cooling in order to produce silky frame rates. Its display blends blistering speed with beautiful HDR visuals, while the programmable AirTriggers and tactile enhancements heighten physical connection and comfort.
Like other flagships, the ROG Phone is based on Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 845 SoC, whose eight Kryo CPU cores and Adreno 630 graphics have ample horsepower for the latest games. ASUS got a binned version of the processor that has the ability to run at faster frequencies. Exclusive to the ROG Phone, this special chip clocks up to 2.96GHz, nearly 200MHz higher than stock and is Qualcomm’s fastest-ever mobile platform yet.
Meanwhile, ASUS’ new GameCool system improves thermals with a copper heat spreader and 3D vapor chamber that efficiently transfer heat away from the SoC and into the body. If you want an extra kick, there’s an optional AeroActive Cooler that comes in the box, which blows air over the back to accelerate heat dissipation into the environment.
The ROG Phone’s roomy 6-inch display refreshes at 90Hz, allowing it to draw 50 percent more frames than typical smartphone screens. This device also uses an ultra-fast AMOLED, whose one-millisecond response time matches the pixel-flipping speed of ASUS’ competition-grade ROG Swift PG258Q eSports monitor.
While the ROG Phone has a 10-point touchscreen sensitive enough to detect input through gloves, your fingers are best placed on the AirTriggers. These dedicated and customizable ultrasonic buttons actuate with only 20 grams of force, giving them a light touch for quick reflexes.
Here are the full specifications of the ASUS ROG Phone:
- Exclusive 2.96GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Mobile Platform
- Qualcomm Adreno 630 GPU
- LPDDR4X 8GB RAM
- UFS 2.1, 128GB / 512GB internal storage
- 6.0-inch 18:9 (2160×1080) AMOLED; 90Hz refresh rate with 1ms pixel response time; 108.6% DCI-P3 color gamut and 10000:1 contrast ratio; 10-point multi-touch (supports Glove Touch); Discrete image processing chip supports HDR
- Accelerometer, e-compass, proximity sensor, Hall sensor, ambient-light sensor, fingerprint sensor, gyroscope, 2 x ultrasonic AirTriggers
- Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ad 2×2 MIMO, Wi-Fi Direct and WiGig 802.11ad wireless display support, Bluetooth 5.0, and NFC
- Supports GPS, aGPS, Glonass, BeiDou
- Side I/O: Custom USB-C supports USB 3.1 Gen 1, DP 1.4, fast charging (15W)
ASUS HyperCharge direct charging
- Bottom I/O: USB-C supports USB 2.0, fast charging (20W), Direct Charge
3.5mm headphone jack
- 12MP + 8MP (120° wide-angle) rear; 8MP front cameras
- Dual front-facing stereo speakers with smart amplifier; 24-bit/192KHz Hi-Res Audio; DTS Headphone:X 7.1 virtual surround-sound; Qualcomm aptX High-definition Bluetooth® wireless audio
- 158.8 x 76.2 x 8.6mm; 200g
To further upgrade your gaming experience, ASUS equips the ROG Phone with accessories that let you dock it with a desktop, double up the screens and batteries, and add console-like controls alongside a wireless display.
Below are the available docks for the ROG Phone:
- Mobile Desktop Dock – Build a complete desktop around the ROG Phone, including hooking up a 4K monitor, Gigabit Ethernet, 5.1-channel speakers, and a stack of USB peripherals.
- TwinView Dock – Take the ROG Phone on the road in a handheld package complete with another screen. The secondary display is identical to the one on the phone, giving game developers more real estate to show maps, inventory, and other important information.
- WiGig Dock – A different approach to secondary screens by using low-latency 802.11ad 60GHz WiFi to broadcast display signals to a base station that plugs into big-screen TVs.
According to ASUS, the ROG Phone will be available in configurations with 128GB and 512GB of internal storage, both with the AeroActive Cooler. All the other accessories will be sold separately, and a special bundle will pack all of them into a suitcase with the high-end version of the phone.