While the iPhone X is the undeniable star of Apple’s event in California, the next-generation iPhones, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, still deserve some screen time.
For the most part, the iPhone 8 is similar to the iPhone 7 in terms of features and specs: dual 12-megapixel rear cameras and 7-megapixel front snapper; 4K video recording capability; and splash, water, and dust resistance.
There is also not much difference in design as the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus carries the same form factor as the iPhone 7—rounded sides, Touch ID button below the display, no headphone jack, and 5.5-inch and 4.7-inch screen sizes for the base and Plus models, respectively.
So what’s changed? These are the new features you can enjoy when you decide to upgrade to the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus:
- Glass back and aluminum bezel design. The rear of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are made of durable glass in space gray, silver, and gold finishes. A color-matched aerospace-grade aluminum bezel complements the glass rear.
- New Retina HD display. The iPhone 8 models’ new displays come with True Tone, which adjusts the white balance of the screen to match the surrounding light condition.
- A11 Bionic chip and M11 motion coprocessor. The new chip features a six-core CPU design with two performance cores and four efficiency cores that are faster than the previous generations. It also integrates an Apple-designed GPU with a three-core design that delivers faster graphics performance.
- Improved cameras. The iPhone 8 still has 12MP f/1.8, while the Plus gets a dual-sensor 12MP camera. However, Apple says that the cameras now has better pixel processing, new color filter, faster autofocus, and hardware noise reduction.
- Portrait Lighting mode. This feature brings dramatic studio lighting effects to your photos through a shallow depth-of-field effect in five different lighting styles.
- Wireless charging. Thanks to their glass back design, the new-generation iPhones are capable of wireless charging. They work with the established Qi ecosystem.
- iOS 11. Apple’s latest mobile operating system brings several new features, including augmented reality support and new voices and translations for Siri.
- New capacities. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus come in increased 64GB and 256GB capacity models. Price starts at $699 for the iPhone 8, while the Plus variant has a starting price of $799.
Pre-order for the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus will begin on September 15, 2017, and it will hit the stores a week later on September 22, 2017.